Friday, May 4, 2007

The silence is broken about Doug's condition

Brian Peeler talks to AfterElton about Doug and the events leading up to his death. A lot of the information most Work Out viewers were left in the dark about, until now.

Brian lays out the chronology of what happened to Doug before he passed. First off, the show never mentioned anything about Doug being sick towards the end of the first season. He was fighting lymphoma and was undergoing chemo. In episode 204, Doug suffered from salmonella poisoning which lead to his kidney failure. From what I saw on the show, I just thought he became so dehydrated that his kidneys simply shut down. Of course, I don't really know if that could happen, but, I didn't argue.

The infection mentioned in the last episode, was actually a staph infection in his neck he received from the numerous dialysis treatments, ultimately killing his liver and pancreas. He was resuscitated after his heart stopped, but doctors were told not to resuscitate him if it happened again.

He died on a Sunday, surrounded by his closest friends. They watched his heartbeat slow down and eventually stop.

"Now that he’s dead, I think people should know what happened. Instead of coming up with bogus ideas and saying bogus stuff about him, I wanted his name to be taken right. I don’t want his name to be trashed," said Brian.

An aside...

I've read a bit about how Bravo 'teased' viewers all week long about this week's show dealing with Doug's passing. Yet, only the last five minutes were dedicated to what was marketed so heavily. I have to say, I'm in agreement with how folks are feeling about it. Not that I didn't care about Jackie mending her relationship with her mom, because I think it's great, but I was expecting to see more about Doug's situation.

The fact is that Doug is gone. And Bravo, delivered record ratings. Hmm. Not sure how I feel about Bravo now.

1 comment:

justjane said...

Of course I only know what they show on t.v., but Doug really seemed like a genuinely caring person, there should be more people like him in the world. So sorry for your loss.